VMware Windows Time Chaos simulates a time skew scenario on Windows OS based VMware VM.
- It checks the performance of the application running on the VMware Windows VMs under time skew conditions.
- VMware Windows Time Chaos determines the resilience of an application when a time skew scenario is simulated on a VMware Windows virtual machine.
- VMware Windows Time Chaos simulates the situation of time skew for processes running on the application, which degrades their performance.
- It also helps verify the application's ability to handle time failures and its failover mechanisms.
Kubernetes > 1.16 is required to execute this fault.
Execution plane should be connected to vCenter and host vCenter on port 443.
VMware tool should be installed on the target VM with remote execution enabled.
Adequate vCenter permissions should be provided to access the hosts and the VMs.
The VM should be in a healthy state before and after injecting chaos.
Kubernetes secret has to be created that has the Vcenter credentials in the
Run the fault with a user possessing admin rights, preferably the built-in Administrator, to guarantee permissions for memory stress testing. See how to enable the built-in Administrator in Windows.
VM credentials can be passed as secrets or as a chaos enginer environment variable.
|VM_NAME||Name of the target VM.|| For example, |
|VM_USER_NAME||Username of the target VM.|| For example, |
|VM_PASSWORD||User password for the target VM.|| For example, |
|OFFSET||Time offset to induce in the VM.|| For example, |
|TOTAL_CHAOS_DURATION||Duration that you specify, through which chaos is injected into the target resource (in seconds).||Default: 60s.|
|RAMP_TIME||Period to wait before and after injecting chaos (in seconds).||Default: 0s.|
|SEQUENCE||Sequence of chaos execution for multiple instances.||Default: parallel. Supports serial sequence as well.|
OFFSET environment variable specifies the time offset to induce in the target Windows VM.
Use the following example to specify time offset:
- name: vmware-windows-time-chaos
# Name of the VM
- name: VM_NAME
# Time offset to induce
- name: OFFSET