The Harness Delegate is a service you run in your deployment target environment, such as your local network, VPC, or cluster. The Delegate connects all of your artifact, infrastructure, collaboration, verification and other providers with the Harness Manager.
Most importantly, the Delegate performs all deployment operations.
There are several types of Delegates. This topic describes how to install the Shell Script Delegate.
In this topic:
- Before You Begin
- Visual Summary
- Review: Requirements
- Step 1: Download the Delegate
- Step 2: Run the Shell Script Delegate Script
- See Also
Before You Begin
The following diagram shows how the Delegate enables Harness to integrate with all of your deployment resources:
- cURL version 7.64.1 or later.
- See Delegate Requirements and Limitations.
Step 1: Download the Delegate
- Sign into the Harness Manager.
- Click Setup., and then click Harness Delegates.
- In the Delegate tab, click Install Delegate.
- In Download Type, select Shell Script.
- In Name, enter a name for your Delegate.
- In Profile, select a Delegate Profile. See Run Scripts on the Delegate using Profiles.
A Delegate Profile is mandatory. The Primary Profile is the default and contains no script. You can add a script to it, or create and apply new Profiles for your Delegate.
- Click Download or Copy Download Link.
If you clicked Download, copy the downloaded file to the host where you want to run the Delegate.
If you clicked Copy Download Link, connect to the machine or VM instance where you want to run the Delegate, paste in the cURL command, and press Enter to download the Delegate.
Step 2: Run the Shell Script Delegate Script
- Ensure the host where you run the Delegate meets the Delegate Requirements and Limitations.
- On the host where you want to run the Delegate, unzip the file (
tar -zxvf harness-delegate.tar.gz), open the harness-delegate folder (
cd harness-delegate) and run the start.sh script (
If you see a ulimit warning, see WARNING: ulimit -n is too low (1024).
The Delegate will start and in a few moments you will see it listed in the Harness Delegates page.
The Harness Delegates page provides a list of installed Delegates. The information displayed includes:
- IP Address.
- Last heartbeat. This is the last time the Delegate communicated with the Harness Manager. The Delegate pings the Manager once per minute.
- Available Versions