This topic provides a guide on how the SCM Coding Days metric is calculated across various SCM reports on SEI.
Coding Days can be defined as the metric representing the number of unique days within a specified time range during which a developer has committed code changes. This metric aims to quantify the developer's active engagement in coding activities over a given period.
Scope of Measurement
The Coding Days metric is measured across 4 types of reports on SEI.
- Trellis Raw Stats report
- Trellis Developer report
- SCM Coding Days report
- SCM Coding Days Single Stat report
Trellis Raw Stats report
In the Raw Stats report the Coding Days metric displays the count of unique days on which a developer has committed code changes. To configure this report on your Insight, go to Trellis Insight: Tutorial
Calculation: Number of days in the selected time range with at least one commit.
Trellis Developer report
In the Trellis Developer report the Coding Days metric displays the average number of coding days per week that a developer has worked on during the selected time period. To configure this report on your Insight, go to Trellis Insight: Tutorial
Calculation: Raw coding days divided by the total number of weeks in the selected time range.
SCM Coding Days report
In the SCM Coding Days report the metric displays the coding days count based on the selected metrics in the widget configuration.
Calculation: Depends on the specific metric chosen in the widget configuration (e.g., Average Coding Days per Week).
SCM Coding Days Single Stat report
In this report the metric displays the coding days count per month based on the selected metrics in the widget configuration.
Calculation: Raw coding days divided by the total number of days in a month.
Consider a developer A, with commits between October 1, 2023, and December 31, 2023.
Trellis Raw Stats
- Developer A has committed code changes on 23 unique days within the specified time range.
Trellis Developer report
- Total days in the range: 92 days (from October 1 to December 31).
- Total weeks in the range: 92 days / 7 days per week ≈ 13.14 weeks.
- Average Coding Days per Week: 23 coding days / 13.14 weeks = 1.75 days per week.
SCM Coding Days Single Stat
- Total days in a month (assuming 30 days): 30 days.
- Average Coding Days per Month: 23 coding days / 30 days ≈ 0.76 days per month.
- Developer A had 23 unique coding days.
- On average, Developer A coded approximately 1.75 days per week.
- The average coding days per month for Developer A was approximately 0.76 days.
These calculations provide insights into Developer A’s coding activity, breaking it down into daily, weekly, and monthly perspectives. The Coding Days metric is a flexible measure that helps understand a developer's engagement on the codebase over different time periods.